Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to get or keep an erection firm enough to have sexual intercourse. It can cause a great emotional stress. Erectile dysfunction makes a lot of men feel embarrassed and unconfident. Moreover, It can be the reason for a lot of problems in your relationship with your partner. Shockwave therapy (D-Actor from Storz Medical) is backed by evidence to restore your libido to a youthful standing.
Even if you don’t suffer from erectile dysfunction, you may want to improve your sexual performance or take a proactive approach to a potential decline in sexual performance.
How does shockwave therapy work?
It is a low intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy (LI-ESWT). Shockwaves (SWs) are acoustic waves that carry energy and can be focused to affect targeted distant tissues where low intensity focused SWs interact and produce microtrauma (microtearing of muscle fibers, the sheath around the muscle and the connective tissue) which results in the release of angiogenic factors (essential for healing, growth, and development). Angiogenic factors helps in neovascularization (natural formation of new blood vessels) of that targeted tissues which in turn improves the blood supply.
Figure 1: The handle of the shockwave therapy applicator from STORZ MEDICAL
Shockwave therapy in treatment of ED
There are many possible causes for ED and they could be psychological or physical conditions. ED can be associated with (cardio-vascular diseases, diabetes, smoking, obesity, stress, and relationship problems) but most commonly with increased age, as decreased blood flow happens over the years.
Other common causes of erectile dysfunction
- Heart disease and decreased blood blow
- Hypertension / high blood pressure
- Peripheral vascular damage from diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome—a condition involving increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist and high cholesterol
- Parkinson’s disease, Multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease—development of scar tissue inside the penis
- Certain prescription medications, tobacco use
- Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord injury
- Emotional or psychological distress
As SWs induce neo-vascularization or new blood vessel formation, there is an improvement in blood flow. Sufficient blood flow is required to achieve an erection.
In a study published in the April edition of Therapeutic Advances in Urology journal showing that after one month of receiving treatment by LISWT, most of the cases suffering from erectile dysfunction had erectile function improvement, also significant increases in the duration of the erections and penile rigidity were recorded.
Figure 2: Shockwave application sites during a typical treatment
What happens during a shockwave session?
During each shockwave treatment session, 500 pulses are applied to the top of the penile shaft at 2 or 3 locations. Additionally, 2,000 pulses are applied to perineal area . The treatment sessions consist of 3 weeks cycle of twice-weekly sessions. Each treatment session lasts about 10 minutes. Each case may require a different treatment plan as it is determined by the severity of the erectile dysfunction.
How does shockwave therapy beat other ED treatments a thousand times?
- No surgical treatment.
- No painful treatment.
- No side effects.
- No anesthesia required.
- No drugs required.
- Short time sessions, session takes 10-15 mins.
- Shockwave therapy doesn’t treat only the symptoms (which other products do) but it helps treating the underlying pathophysiology of the erectile mechanism by enhancing the blood flow.
Remember that it is completely normal to have erection trouble from time to time but if you have problems getting or keeping an erection as a persisting condition, then you may require professional medical help. The greatest advantage of the the acoustic shockwave therapy for erectile dysfunction is that it results in spontaneous and natural erections without the use of drugs, injections or pumps.
So, what are you waiting for? Start enjoying your sexual life and make your relationship with your lover great again. Start your shockwave therapy sessions by contacting us today.
- Gruenwald I, Appel B, Kitrey ND, Vardi Y. Shockwave treatment of erectile dysfunction. Therapeutic Advances in Urology. 2013;5(2):95-99. doi:10.1177/1756287212470696.
- Bechara A, Casabé A, De Bonis W, Ciciclia PG. Twelve-Month Efficacy and Safety of Low-Intensity Shockwave Therapy for Erectile Dysfunction in Patients Who Do Not Respond to Phosphodiesterase Type 5 Inhibitors. Sexual Medicine. 2016;4(4):e225-e232. doi:10.1016/j.esxm.2016.06.001.
- A. Palmieri et al. A First Prospective, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial Evaluating Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy for the Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease. European Urology 56 (2009) 363-370.
- A. Olsen et. al. Can low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy improve erectile dysfunction? A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Scand J Urol, 2014; Early Onlne: 1–5