Shockwave Therapy for Erectile Dysfunction
Shockwave therapy uses energy from acoustic waves to create microtrauma and trigger a process called neovascularization in certain parts of the body. When neovascularization occurs, new blood vessels form. This helps improve blood flow to the region.
Blood flow is critical to a man’s erections. When a man is sexually stimulated, arteries widen so that his penis can fill with blood.
To administer shockwave therapy, a clinician applies a probe to the penis, which is coated in a special gel. Different areas of the penis are usually targeted. Treatment sessions may last for fifteen to twenty minutes. Men usually don’t need anesthesia or experience pain, although they might have a tingling sensation in the treated area.
Treatment Of ED
There are many possible causes for ED and they could be psychological or physical conditions. ED can be associated with (cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, smoking, obesity, stress, and relationship problems) but most commonly with increased age, as decreased blood flow happens over the years.
Common Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
- Heart disease and decreased blood blow
- Hypertension / high blood pressure
- Peripheral vascular damage from diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome—a condition involving increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist and high cholesterol
- Parkinson’s disease, Multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease—development of scar tissue inside the penis
- Certain prescription medications, tobacco use
- Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord injury
- Emotional or psychological distress
As SWs induce neo-vascularization or new blood vessel formation, there is an improvement in blood flow. Sufficient blood flow is required to achieve an erection.
In a study published in the April edition of Therapeutic Advances in Urology journal showing that after one month of receiving treatment by LISWT, most of the cases suffering from erectile dysfunction had erectile function improvement, also significant increases in the duration of the erections and penile rigidity were recorded.
What Happens During a Shockwave Session?
During each shockwave treatment session, 500 pulses are applied to the top of the penile shaft at 2 or 3 locations. Additionally, 2,000 pulses are applied to perineal area . The treatment sessions consist of 3 weeks cycle of twice-weekly sessions. Each treatment session lasts about 10-15minutes. Each case may require a different treatment plan as it is determined by the severity of the erectile dysfunction.
How Does Shockwave Therapy Beat Other E.D. Treatments a Thousand Times?
- No surgical treatment.
- Mild discomfort
- No side effects.
- No anesthesia required.
- No drugs required.
- Short time sessions, session takes 10-15 mins.
- Shockwave therapy doesn’t treat only the symptoms (which other products do) but it helps treating the underlying pathophysiology of the erectile mechanism by enhancing the blood flow.
Remember that it is completely normal to have erection trouble from time to time but if you have problems getting or keeping an erection as a persisting condition, then you may require professional medical help. The greatest advantage of the acoustic shockwave therapy for erectile dysfunction is that it results in spontaneous and natural erections without the use of drugs, injections or pumps.
So, what are you waiting for? Start enjoying your sexual life and make your relationship with your lover great again. Start your shockwave therapy sessions by contacting us today.